Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 4 Storytelling: The Death of Dasaratha

As I lay next to my beautiful wife Kausayla, I closed my eyes and slept for a short period of time. Then I woke up and remembered....

Kausayla gripped my hands, "My dear Kausayla, are you awake?"

In my sleep, I could barely hear my sweet Kausayla's words. Far in the distance, I hear a voice of a young boy. The boy cried out for me. He looked at me, "Why did you dagger me with your arrow?!" I couldn't bare to look at his face. I woke up and saw my Kaysayla holding my hands with tears in her eyes.

In my last mission, I helped Kaikeyi to convince the people that Bharata should be king. I originally wanted Rama to be the successor, oh Rama so brave and wise, he would surely fit to be the king, but what has gotten into me? Kaikeyi and Manthara had manipulated me to make Bharata the successor and force to exile Rama!Manthara was telling me the horrible stories of Rama and if he was king he would not only bring my people down but my family. Of course, I am worried. I am worried for my people and family; therefore, I had to do what was best and exile Rama, but as I look back I regretted everything. I should have never listen to Kaikeyi and Manthara and trusted my instincts in choosing Rama. I should have never taught Kaikeyi the language of animals. Why did I do it?! I knew it would cost me my life and now my wife is suffering. I am dying and I know it.

This dream that I had of the boy that I killed when I was a young man. I must tell Kausayla right now  and let her know my last words. I looked into Kausayla's eyes filled with tears and told her the flashback of the boy. As I was telling the story, she couldn't stop crying but I had to tell her. I love Kausaya so much.

I looked into her eyes and try to memorize the beautiful face. I could hear my heart beating slower and slower and then I spoke to my wife one last time....

"Queen, that whole crime now comes home to me. If Rama could touch me to live, but I have no other help. I cannot hear my own voice. My hand grows numb. I can hardly feel your hand, I barely speak. My death fast approaches. I have wronged my son, but he has done well toward me...Rama....Where are you?.... Rama..."

Dasaratha's sin of the boy he killed (Source): Dasaratha

Author's Note:This part in the book basically described Dasaratha's thoughts and his regrets when he was dreaming of the boy he killed. I pretty much just stuck with the original story but added more details of wrote some thoughts and feelings he had towards his wife.  I wanted to emphasize the regrets and sorrow for not making Rama the successor and how he regretted being manipulated by Kaikeya. I wanted the story to focus on Dasaratha's feelings and how much he loves his wife. Moreover, I made the ending scene more dramatic to emphasize sorrow and sadness and the pain Kausayla is going through when watching her husband die. I wrote the story in Dasaratha's perspective when he was about to die. I focused on his last thoughts and words to Kausayla and added some emotion to it with Kausayla crying. There is a little bit of anger towards Kaikeyi and Manthara in the context and regrets of not appointing Rama as his successor. The last paragraph are the actual words in the book of his last thoughts. I stuck with the original dying scene and just turned it in Dasaratha's perspective but in those few seconds before he told Kausayla his story. I also described his feelings toward Kausayla as he was telling her his story. 

Bibliography: William Buck, Ramayana 1976



2 comments:

  1. Christine,

    What an interesting twist on the story of Dasaratha's death. I like how you added emotion into the story. I think it added a more realistic effect, and made Dasaratha seem more human. You have a really great writing style, and I enjoyed reading your take on this! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very well written story. You did a great job bringing a lot of emotion into this retelling of Dasaratha’s death. It felt very dramatic in both Buck and Narayan’s Ramayana, but there wasn’t much written that gave insight into Dasaratha's thoughts. You did a wonderful job portraying Dasaratha’s guilt and regret for his past actions, as well as his love towards Rama and his wife Kausayla. Great job!

    ReplyDelete