Friday, April 10, 2015

Week 9 Storytelling: Urvasi in Love

Urvasi's thoughts:

I cannot stop looking at this handsome man...Oh Arjuna! You are so handsome and I must have you for myself, but how can I obtain your love? What should I do to get his attention? He is the most handsome man I've ever met and of course I want him to be my husband! Shall I seduce him with a new transformation or disguise myself and kidnap him?! I can't decide... I think I will try to seduce him and see if he wants to make love and marry me...

(looking through her wardrobe) Hmm... I think I will wear this transparent silk robe and meet him tonight! It's transparent enough for him to see... well of course enough for him to see my body! I will also spray this lovely perfume all over my body so that he will be attracted to my scent. He will surely love my appearance and then we will make love until the sunrise.

 The moon was shining bright. Urvasi approached Arjuna's room and knocked on his door. Urvasi was very anxious and hoped that Arjuna would respond to her sweet gesture. She had been a lonely woman for months now and wanted to make love with someone. Arjuna was the only attractive man that she had seen for several years and when they met. Her eyes were locked and she could not stop thinking about him. Could it be she was in love already? She had never felt this way in such a long time. Was this love at first sight? Urvasi was a curious woman and the only way to find out whether this was love or not is to approach Arjuna. Brave Urvasi took a deep breath and began to knock on his door.

The door opened with a slight creaking noise and Arjuna looked at Urvasi from head to toe.

"Um.. yes? May I help you?" said Arjuna.

"Arjuna, I am insanely attracted to you and I noticed you were looking at me earlier today. Shall we get together and have a wild wonderful night?" said Urvasi.

"Oh Urvasi, you are mistaken...I was looking at you earlier today because you remind me of my mothers Kunthi and Madri. "Your appearance caught me by surprise, and it reminded me how much I missed them." said Arjuna.

"Your mother?! I remind you of your mothers?! How dare you speak to me this way! I have tried so hard to seduce you, wearing this nearly see-through robe, and now you say I remind you of your mother?!" said Urvasi.

"I apologize for being so blunt but in fact you do remind me of my mothers. Please don't take it the wrong way. You are still a beautiful woman, just not for me." said Arjuna.

Urvasi's face turned red and she stood by Arjuna's door grunting under her breath. She had never felt so humiliated in her life.

"Well, Arjuna, since you have humiliated me by calling me your mother. I will curse you to become a eunuch forever and you will be forced to dance with the women!" said Urvasi.

Then with a swift of her hands she mumbled a chant and now Arjuna was cursed.

Urvasi cursing Arjuna: Urvasi

Author's Note:
I decided to do a story over Urvasi and Arjuna but in Urvasi's perspective. She was attracted to Arjuna but later rejected so she cursed him into a eunuch. In the story, Urvasi was a seductive and flirty woman. She tried to capture Arjuna's attention by wearing seductive clothes. Urvasi was so humiliated that she threw herself at a man who did not want her. The outcome resulted in Arjuna's curse in exile living with all women and becoming a eunuch. I kept the storyline pretty much the same as the book described it but added a lot more details. I added Urvasi's thoughts and how she planned on seducing him and making love to him all night. She was a promiscuous woman and would try to get anything she wants. I also added some dialogue of Urvasi and Arjuna to emphasize their conversations as a way to show the tensions between them. It was obvious that Urvasi was not happy with the rejection and took her frustration out on Arjuna for being too forward. Overall, I want to stick with the original story but added more details since the book only described a small part of their conversation. Urvasi was an apsara. The apsaras are beautiful supernatural beings that seduce men. I extended the story with some significant details that are not in the book such as her transparent silk robe and the perfume. I thought those items were essential to the story because it was a way for her to attract Arjuna. 

Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, The Mahabharata 1978

6 comments:

  1. Hi Christine! I really enjoyed reading this episode from Urvasi’s point of view. I also found the dynamic between Urvasi and Arjuna to be really interesting as I was reading, and I’m glad that you expanded on that aspect of the story. I like how you added more details to describe the scene and Urvasi’s thoughts and behavior. You did a great job expanding this scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is really great especially since you are a woman speaking from a woman’s point of view! It is so typical of us to look through our wardrobe in order to find the perfect outfit for a man we are going to see. I love how she chose the most transparent piece of clothing to seduce him…. Something that wouldn’t seem very accepted in our society today. Great job staying along the story line with more details added!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christine!

    I couldn't view this story from your portfolio link. I am not for sure if it was on my end or if it was from your end, but I thought I would just let you know that.

    I really enjoyed this story! You definitely have some of the most creative stories I have read in this class, which is one of the reason I always seem to really enjoy your stories!! I really loved this story because of the extra detail you added to the story. When I read this part in the book, I was wondering how far Urvasi would go to try and seduce Arjuna. I was glad to see that you told just how far she was willing to go! In the book Urvasi really seems like she is used to getting everything that she wants, and I am glad to see that you kept that same feeling to her in your story. Great job! I am looking forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a sucker for a good love story and you did an amazing job on this!! It is very easy to relate to. I can’t even count how many times I have thought I have needed the most perfect outfit because my boyfriend and I are going to dinner. In fact I did it this morning. Such a girl thing to do right?! The detail and style of writing you chose is amazing. It showed just how far she was willing to go to “win” him over. I totally wasn’t expecting him to say she looked like his mothers. Talk about totally shock. That was an, oh no you didn’t moment. She let him know it too! Overall what a great story an very well written! Again, great job. Do you plan to add one more story? If so I would definitely like to come back and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Christine! I loved reading your story.I like how you wrote the first half in Urvasi's point of view. By writing in first person, I was able to fully understand the love that Urvasi had for Arjuna. I like how you included the conversation between arjuna and Urvasi. The story revealed the true character of both Urvasi and Arjuna. It was sad seeing how Urvasi got rejected, but overall, Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine,

    I really enjoyed your story! Urvasi is definitely promiscuous, and I think you did a good job capturing that. By adding details to Urvasi's inner thoughts and feelings the audience got to know more about her! When her plan goes awry, you can tell that wrath is building up inside of her. Especially when Arjuna says that Urvasi reminds him of his mother (yikes!!) you know that she is going to be upset. I actually feel worse for Arjuna than Urvasi. Although Urvasi loved Arjuna I don't think she should have cursed him haha!

    You have a great writing style! I can tell that you took the time to make corrections and proof read your story. The changes you made, and the details you added brought your story to life. I liked hearing Urvasi's inner thoughts and feelings. Good job!

    ReplyDelete