Monday, April 27, 2015

Week 15: OU General Education

In my opinion, general education classes has its ups and downs. The good side of it is that it teaches students to become more well-rounded. I think that is why most college courses require students to take humanities and electives classes even though it is not part of their major. I remember having a discussion about this topic in my capstone political science class and one student argued that it is not necessary to take these courses... In a way it is part true and partially not. Some of these classes have interesting subjects and could be an advantage for us in the future, we just don't see it yet. However, is it worth the cost? That I don't know... For instance, I have to take a Chinese War class to graduate, would I be using this again in the future? Most likely not and was it worth the cost? Probably not... it is how the college system works.

I think my favorite gen ed classes would be anything that involves with women and gender studies. I have taken a lot of those classes in the past and I enjoyed all of them. I am interested in the topic and felt like it ties in with my major in some aspect. Other gen ed like our prerequisites during our freshman and sophomore year are probably not the most interesting classes but they are a good stepping stone to be prepare for your upper division courses.


No comments:

Post a Comment