Monday, April 6, 2015

Week 12 Storytelling: Nala and Damayanti

Nala was the king of the Nishada people. He was a humble king and cared for his people. One day he met a beautiful woman named Damayanti and wanted her to be his wife. She was so gorgeous and everyone wanted her. The gods such as Indra, Agni, Varuna, and Yama all wanted Damayanti for themselves but Nala ended up winning Damyanti's heart. The two fell in love at first sight. This is how their love story begin.

"Nala! Nala! Come here. I'm sending you on a mission. I want you to tell Damayanti, the daughter of King Vidarbha that she must choose a husband soon. I want you to tell her the good characteristics of me. Forget the other gods! I am the suitable husband for her." said Indra.

"Yes sir, I will tell her that she must choose a husband and that you are the one for her." said Nala.

Nala began his journey to find Damayanti. His mission was to tell her that she must find a husband and persuade her that Indra is the right husband for her. He approached her place and knocked on the door. Damayanti slowly opened the door and the two of them stared into each other deeply. Nala had never seen any maiden so beautiful in his life. He was captured by her beauty. Her skin was glowing and her hair was long and luscious. 

"Err.. Oh hello... um my n-n-name is Nala. I was sent by Indra to tell you that you must f-f-find a husband." he stammered.

"Hello, my name is Damayanti. It's nice to meet you" she blushed and shyly looked away trying not to make direct eye contact.

Damayanti invited Nala to come inside and the two ended up having good conversations and shared common interests with each other. Nala knew that his mission was to tell her to choose a husband now he wanted her for himself. This girl was gorgeous and both of them have so much in common. He wanted to pursue her for himself.

"Damayanti, I was sent here to tell you that you must choose a husband to marry but you are so beautiful and we have so much in common. I have to tell you that I'm already in love with you and please please be my wife." Nala said.

"Oh Nala! I fell in love with you at first sight. When you knocked on my door I knew that there is no else I wanted but you." Damayanti said.

The two lovers decided that Nala must tell Indra and the other gods that Damayanti and him were going to be together. 

"Indra, I am sorry to tell you. I understand my mission was to tell Damayanti that you were the suitable husband for her. However, Damayanti and I fell in love and we want to be together." said Nala.

"How dare you steal the woman I'm going to marry! You snake! You did this on purpose! You think you are better than me? You think you are better than all of us gods?! Damayanti must be blind to have chose you! What qualities do you have?! How dare you!" Indra screamed.

Nala left and so Indra told the other gods what happened. The gods all decided to impersonate Nala and see who will win Damayanti's heart. They will trick and deceive Damayanti and the god that wins her heart will marry Damayanti. 

Nala and Damayanti: The Lovers

Author's Note: I decided to write a story about Nala and Damayanti. I wanted to show that they fell in love with each other at first sight. Although Nala was on a mission to tell Damayanti that she was supposed to marry one of the gods. He couldn't help but fall in love with her. Damayanti felt the same way and so Nala decided to tell Indra the truth. In the story, I emphasized the character of Nala and Damayanti. Both of them had similar interests and really understand each other. Nala did not plan to fall in love with Damayanti but the two ended up being in love. Indra was very angry and felt as if Nala had betrayed him. He felt like Nala seduced Damayanti and wanted her for himself. 

Biliography: William Buck, Mahabharata 

2 comments:

  1. Christine,
    I like how you varied the font choice. I haven’t seen it anywhere else in the class and it does a fine job of partitioning out the sections of your story. Overall, it was enjoyable and a very easy read; however, I found a few typos in your story – go back and make those corrections and you’ll be golden. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine! You did a great job providing background information for the story before the real story even begins. It really helps to understand the story as it goes along. I like how you gave variety to certain things. It made it very intriguing for me to continue to read it through the end. You did a great job being really detailed. It made for an excellent retelling of the story of Nala. Good job!

    ReplyDelete